Chairman's Reserve Cast Iron Ribeye
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 10-15min
Cook Time: 20-30
- Preheat grill, smoker, or oven to 300°F – be sure to have an indirect cooking zone and a direct searing/cooking zone!
- Season steaks with a layer of Big Poppa’s Cash Cow Seasoning on both sides. Press into the meat.
- Season steaks with a layer of Big Poppa’s Double Secret Steak on both sides. Press into the meat.
- Allow seasoning to “melt” into the meat, about 10-15 min.
- Put the steaks on the indirect side of your smoker and cook for 8 minutes. Flip and cook for 8 more minutes on the other side. Remove from smoker and set aside.
- Lightly spray the cast iron pan with Pam or high temp oil (peanut, grapeseed, avocado).
- Place cast iron pan in the smoker on the direct searing/cooking zone. Allow your smoker to rise in temp, if possible (around 325°F).
- Be careful, the cast iron pan will be HOT – please make sure you have welding gloves or proper gloves for handling high temps.
- Once the cast iron pan is hot enough to sear (325°F), melt a couple of cubes of butter in the pan.
- Place steaks back into the smoker on the cast iron pan to sear, cover with large slices of butter.
- Sear for 4-6min each side, flipping once until an internal temp of 128° F (or desired doneness) has been achieved.
- Remove from cast iron, let meat rest for 5 min before slicing. Once rested, slice against the grain and serve immediately!
- Poppa’s Pro Tip: Most people cook too hot on cast iron. Too hot and you’ll over-caramelize the outside, which makes it hard to get bumper to bumper doneness. Using an infrared thermometer to monitor the heat of the pan is a great way to make sure it doesn’t go over 325° F.